In this article, you will find the definition of an intranet. moreover, there is a brief list of its Purpose, Uses, Benefits, and Disadvantages, and you will also find some useful Examples at the end of this.
What is intranet?
An intranet is especially a private networking system created using World wide web software, which is open just for a single association’s staff. This system access employees to transfer a large amount of data secretly in contrast with the internet. In fact, it had been the popular way of communicating more securely during the last few decades.
Further, This is sometimes compared with an extranet. It is usually limited to employees of the organization. However, extranets are accessible to customers, suppliers, or other authorized individuals.
What is the Purpose of the intranet?
initially, The main purpose of using an intranet is to make more transparency in work and to improve workforce productivity. A good company needs a very effective data management system and there must be very few time-consuming tools. In this world, this thing is very difficult to make that’s the reason intranet comes on the corporate world, to make an easier and more secure and very less time-consuming system.
What is the use of an Intranet?
Intranet is developed with private corporate servers which are accessible only with LAN or a private dial-up medium.
Further, Every system has its own pros and cons. However, the intranet includes many uses, still, there are some facts that make them less than modern solutions. Here, you will know some important uses of it.
- can be used to deliver management tools.
- Customized news channel
- used as an internal notice board for announcements.
- it is using to automate the business process like an online form
- used as an employee directory such as skills, contact info, etc
- this gives digital workplace
- used as internal social networking and sharing files.
- used for speeding up recruitment and keep things transparent, for both internal and external hires.
What are the Benefits of an intranet?
However, many companies are adopting the new technology to advance the field of communications, for many companies, still there are some key benefits of using an intranet. Here are some strategic benefits of using this system.
- It increases Workforce productivity by making the information system faster
- Easy storage of files and information.
- A good Content Management System (CMS).
- This networking system is less time-consuming and free from distraction.
- Cross-platform capability
- Very good medium to communicate within an organization.
- Web publishing
- Information can be easily accessible to all authorized users hence it increases Collaboration between employees.
- Business operations and management
- decrease delay with effective Workflow.
- An immediate update is possible for whatever changes.
What is the difference between an intranet and the Internet?
- The internet, on one hand, is a globally connected network of computers that enables people to share information and communicate with each other.
- An intranet, on the other hand, is a local or restricted network that enables people to store, organize, and share information within an organization.
What is the difference between an intranet and an Extranet?
- An intranet, on one hand, is a local or restricted network that enables people to store, organize, and share information within an organization.
- An extranet is an intranet that is accessible to some people from outside the company, or possibly shared by more than one organization.
What are the Disadvantages of the intranet?
There are some disadvantages of the intranet. However, it is possible to reduce by proper planning and support from the top management. Some of the important disadvantages are as follows:
- It can be very costly and time-consuming to implement.
- risk of security to the corporate information
- Complexity and massive admin load.
- Poor user experience.
- Information is difficult to find.
- Decreased employee productivity.
- Internal use only.
- Data Overload
Some useful Examples of Intranet
initially, Some of the biggest and most successful brands in the world are using interactive intranets to move their businesses forward and empower employees. While some services are open source and free of charge, most intranet solutions require a monthly fee and The cost is usually related to the number of users. Here are a few examples: