SD cards are very popular to store different types of media files which are widely used in Android Smartphones, DSLR, and Mirrorless Cameras just like Sony, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Panasonic, Pentax, etc. Moreover, Pen drives are used to carry data from one place to another easily. If you are reading this article, most likely, you have received the following message “SD card is damaged. Try reformatting i” or maybe It is not working on your device or not showing on your computer. Don’t worry, I’m here to show you How to Fix a memory card so that you can repair your Corrupted Pen Drive Or SD Card easily without losing any files.
There might be a lot of reasons that you want to recover your SD card or pen drive because your important files might be stored on that device or maybe some contacts or media files that you don’t want to lose.
Here is the reason that you found if your card is corrupted :
- SD-card-is-not-accessible you are unable to add, delete, copy or save anything in your SD card.
- Your SD card is deemed corrupt if you find the below signs in both Pc and Mac systems:
- Memory-card-error you get error messages reading ‘memory card error’ or ‘corrupt memory card’ while trying to access your precious photos or videos stored on the card. Read more on Memory Card Recovery.
- Photos-on-your-SD-cards-are-missing most of the photos on your SD cards are missing.
- No folder appears when you try to read the SD card through a system, no folder appears, or the folders do not open and show error messages – ‘Read / Write error on SD card’ that indicates it cannot read from the device.
- Error black screen appears along with an error message ‘SD card is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.’
- Write-protected you can see the contents of your SD card in your camera as well as in your system, but unable to copy these contents and get an error message that the disk is ‘write-protected.’
- SD-card-is-not-formatted your SD card is recognized by your PC, but you are unable to see any stored photo or video. It shows the message ‘SD card is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?’
- There is no guarantee that you will always recover your data back. In the case of physical damage, you may not be able to repair it, but a logical error may be tackled in some simple ways.
There are a lot of ways to Fix a memory card so here I’m going to give some tips to repair Corrupted Pen Drive Or SD Card. However, I can’t give you the 100 % guarantee but most of the time It works perfectly fine.
Before you do all the things make sure you check this first :
Updating the SD card driver
Methods to fix corrupted SD card or Pen drive
Method 1: Repair corrupted Pen drive or SD card without formatting
One of the tested and tried ways to repair bad storage media is by using the Check Disk tool that comes preloaded in Windows 10 (and older versions). This way you won’t need to format your corrupted SD card or flash drive in order to repair it.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Connect the storage media to your computer.
- Note down the drive letter.
- Open CMD in Administrator mode.
- Type the following command:
- chkdsk E: /f (Here, E is the drive letter)
- Press Enter. The check disk tool will scan your USB drive or SD card and fix the underlying problem. It works in most cases.
2. Use SD card recovery software like EaseUS
This is one of my favorite recovery software for any corrupted memory card like Hard Drives, SD card, Pen drive. It is just insanely good at recovering files. The best part about this software is It will restore your data as it is just like you had in the past with all the folders included unlike the other software out there which will allow you to recover your file but everything is recovered in the same place with the same names so you need to modify all the files and move them to organize just like in the past.
Here are the few steps you need to do after installing the Ease Us software on your computer.
- Launch EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard on your PC and select your SD card. Then click “Scan” to start finding lost data on your SD card.
- Check found SD card data. After the scanning process, you can click “Filter” to quickly find wanted files.
- Restore SD card data. You can check and preview found files by double-clicking each one of them. Then click Recover to save found SD card files to a secure location on your PC or external storage.